Credit for Nontraditional Learning


Examinations approved for students attempting to earn university-level credit:

  1. College Board Advanced Placement Examinations (CBAPE);
  2. College-Level Examination Program (CLEP General and Subject);
  3. International Baccalaureate North America examinations (IB)
  4. ACT Proficiency Examination Program (ACT PEP);
  5. National League for Nursing Placement Examination (NLN), Profile II, and Pharmacology;
  6. National Occupation Trades and Industry Examination (NOCTI);
  7. Special examinations administered by university departments.

The maximum number of credits that may be earned in any combination of these examinations is 60 semester credits toward a bachelor's degree. Credit earned by examination does not apply toward satisfying the university's resident-credit requirement for graduation.

Native speakers of a language other than English may not receive lower-division foreign language credit for courses in their native language.

Each student is responsible for completing the various examinations and for requesting official score reports be sent directly to the university's Office of Admissions and Records.

Information regarding test centers, test dates, costs and registration may be obtained online or as indicated below. Students may also gain examination information by writing directly to the respective testing organizations.

  1. CBAPE, Box 23060, Oakland, CA 94623-2306
    Advanced Placement (AP) examinations are administered each May in high schools, but not at the colleges. High school students must make arrangements through their school principals or AP coordinators by January to take the AP examinations. For the University of Nevada, Reno, the CBAPE institutional code to receive score reports is 4844.
  2. CLEP, Box 23060, Oakland, CA 94623-2306

    College-Level Examinations are administered only by colleges. Individuals may take the examinations during the third week of each month at any of the 700 test centers in the United States, including Truckee Meadows Community College. Individuals taking the college-level examinations should note that certain examinations require an essay in addition to the objective section of the test. 
  3. IB, 200 Madison Ave., Ste. 2007, New York, NY 10016
    International Baccalaureate
    (IB) examinations are administered primarily each May in high schools, but not at the colleges. High school students must make arrangements with their IB coordinator to take the IB examinations.
  4. Excelsior College Examinations, Admissions Office,
    7 Columbia Circle, Albany, NY 12203-5159
    Website: ; email:

    Military personnel may contact the Base Education Center for test information. Contact UNR academic department to verify examination acceptability prior to registering for examination.
  5. NLN Examinations, 10 Columbus Circle, New York, NY 10019

    National League for Nursing examinations (Profile 11) may be taken at selected sites. Contact an advisor in nursing for more information.

The evaluation status of any examination may be modified when there is adequate justification to change the amount of credit to be granted.

It is the student's responsibility to request that score reports and essays, as required, are sent to the Office of Admissions and Records.

  Skip Navigation Links.